Thursday, November 8, 2012

Giving Back

by Deborah


Give a little
 
I haven't had the best day here.  I'm getting over an illness, received some bad news today, and got a speeding ticket.  I am feeling pretty sorry for myself.


Instead of wallowing, I am trying to focus outward, to remember all those who need more than I do, and to remind myself how blessed I am.  Here are a few of the charities I am supporting right now.  I want to share the links, and if you are looking for a way to give back as the holiday season rolls around, these are organizations doing good things, at local and national levels.

Women for Women International

http://www.womenforwomen.org

Since its creation, Women for Women International has given hope to more than 351,000 women survivors of war and conflict. We have helped them move toward economic self-sufficiency with our year-long program of direct aid, rights education, job skills training, and small business development. We have distributed $108 million in direct aid, microcredit loans, and other program services. Since 1993, Women for Women International has mobilized more than 300,000 women and men in 185 countries worldwide to reach out and support women survivors of war – one woman at a time


American Red Cross

http://www.redcross.org

The American Red Cross exists to provide compassionate care to those in need. Our network of generous donors, volunteers and employees share a mission of preventing and relieving suffering, here at home and around the world, through five key service areas:  disaster relief, supporting America's military families, lifesaving blood, health and safety services, and international services.


Momastery:  Holiday Hands

http://momastery.com/blog
http://monkeeseemonkeedo.org/holiday-hands/

Because what we’re really doing here is alleviating the poverty of loneliness and disconnection by learning how to give and receive gracefully. We’re responding to God’s invitation… to join the beautiful cycle of loving and being loved. It’s not about the gift. It’s about what the gift represents. It’s about Love.

Hands open, to give and receive

I hope that you get a little lift in your spirit by giving a little time, blood, or money, to someone else.  I hope that if you have a need, it is provided to you quickly and abundantly.  I hope that we can be there for each other, take care of each other, and love each other.  And I hope I don't get any more speeding tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment