Friday, January 20, 2012

A question of...


Yesterday, I smelled something suspicious in the vicinity of my Youngest.  I pulled her a little closer and our conversation went something like this:

"Did you poop?"
"No, Mommy, I a robot."
"Ok, but did you poop?"
"No, Mommy, I a robot."
Pause.
"Did the robot poop?"
"Yes."

It's all about asking the right question, isn't it?

Instead of agonizing over whether we are making the right decisions, beating ourselves up over perceived failures, or feeling trapped because we don't feel we have a choice, the key instead is just to ask the right question.

Instead of, "What if this is a mistake?" it could be "What might I learn from this?" 
Instead of, "Why me?" it could be "What special strength do I bring to this?"
Instead of, "Why am I such an idiot?" it could be "How do I invite better into my life?"
Instead of, "Why doesn't he/she love me?" it could be "Whom do I love?"
Instead of, "Why did I do that?" it could be "How do I thrive right now?"

The truth is the same either way, it's all in how you look at it.  Do you want to be the one with the stinky poopy diaper, or do you want to be the badass robot from the movie you just saw?

Ask the right question.

No comments:

Post a Comment